RICHARDSON, Edward. The Monumental Effigies of the Temple Church, with an account of their restoration in the year 1842 London; Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans. Oxford; J.H. Parker. Cambridge: Thomas Stevenson. 1843 £350
FIRST EDITION, PRESENTATION COPY. Folio, pp. 32; 11 tinted lithograph plates; some edges chipped and rounded, also damp stains mainly to the latter plates; original green cloth, upper cover stamped with blind panel and lettered in gilt; worn and skilfully recased; inscribed on front pastedown ‘Edward Betham from the Author’
An uncommon work on the ‘restoration’ of Temple Church. Edward M. Richardson, (1812–1869), sculptor and archaeologist was in 1842 commissioned to restore the effigies of the Knights Templars in the Temple Church in London. The effigies unfortunately suffered considerable damage prior to their restoration, having been left in a damp shed the previous winter. Although substantial restoration was urgently needed, Richardson’s ‘work was considered insensitive: he was refused admission to the Society of Antiquaries and was characterized by Augustus Hare as ‘a charlatan’ who had simply ‘plane[d] down the effigies’ (Gunnis, 320–21)’ (DNB).
Stock No. 2080722 - LONDON